Monday, January 23, 2012

Why would anyone bring a baby to the library?

I'm at the library right now listening to a baby cry. Any reason I shouldn't go offer some child-care tips to the person who brought the baby?|||I love babies and there are often times when I hear a baby crying and i wonder if the parent(s) would like me to "help" but most often I just feel like it's not really my place to offer -- unless there's some obvious problem or need. If you are just annoyed that the baby is there -- oh well! I hope for everyone's sake that the baby stops crying soon and feels better. I don't know how old the baby is -- but perhaps the parents wanted to go to the library and didn't want to leave the baby home and assumed the baby would only minimally bother people. Or if the baby is older, perhaps they want to read to the baby!|||Maybe they have no choice!





Movies...no...but see people who do and don't mind if they can keep them quiet but that's a different situation. The movie lasts 2 hours and you don't want to waste your money and take the chance...in a library...you're in there for something and can leave at any time.|||You shouldn't because it isn't any of your business. That may be a single mother who's struggling her way through college so she can provide a better future for her child and uncompromising people like you may just sabatoge her struggle enough that she gives up.





Some people don't have childcare at the tips of their fingers.|||well they probably need a book but if it was me, i might take my baby with me to the library





but i would be considerate enough to walk outside with her if she started crying.|||Not unless the child-care advice includes your watching her tot while she peruses the library.





Babies cry. It'll stop when mommy fixes whatever is wrong.





Edit:


Emotional Reactions??? Hmmm...consider where you posted this question...and then rethink that remark.





I had brought our baby to the movies as a newborn- I nursed her in her sling and she was perfectly content and happy for the entire movie...but, you'd probably not like nursing in public either.|||Moms need to go to the library too... I take both my kids with me.... a 3 yr old and a 5 month old. My 3 yr old gets books... and I look at them. I have no choice but to take them. Be a little considerate. Babies are everywhere.. we can't just NOT take them places b/c we're worried about other people... Get used to it.





If we WANTED to bring our babies to the movies, we could.. it's not off limits to us. I personally do not. But it doesn't bother me when people do. We're not going to stop doing things we love just because we have children.|||Im sure the staff would say something if the crying was getting out of control.





Be polite, and ignore it.|||youre at the public library, right? besides, libraries offer story groups for babies so get a headset|||What a jerk! I had to bring my baby to the library when I was going to school..sometimes we are just doing the best we can. How about being apathetic and grow up!|||DO NOT offer child care tips to a mother with a screaming child in public. she is probly at the library trying to research how to help her sick/crying/whatever baby and you coming up WILL NOT help.|||do you realise how expensive childcare can be??? and plus you can't be concentrating too much if you're on YA???|||there are ppl who don't have anyone to help or who can't afford day care (it's extremely expensive nowadays) and they need to do some research and have no choice. have a little compassion, i'm pretty sure when u were a baby some ppl might have given ur mother those kinda looks.|||well who cares it probally is very annoying but you don't know why that person has the baby there with her???maybe the person really needs to study and couldn't find a babysitter??


don't go say anything to them it would be rude unless you know the situation!|||be nice i like babies|||Because some people like me are stay at home moms, I have no one to watch my son until 6:30 when my partner gets home, so if I need to go places sometimes my son has to go with me, yes if my son was crying I would deffinately take him out because libraries are quiet places. But theres nothing wrong with taking a baby to the library and some women have no other choice. No you dont go offer child care tips, I'm sure she knows how to take care pfher child just fine. She doesn't need someone like you to help her!|||if someone dared to offer me baby care tips just because my baby was crying i would be pissed and probably go off on them. im sure that is true with most mothers out there. she is there because she needs some sort of information and i applaud her for going to the library, with her baby, and finding her answers.|||I know it's a tough one, but if you talk in a library then you are asked to quiet down.





The person really should leave and calm the baby down then return, I've had to do this at weddings and birthdays.





It's only fair to the other people|||Since when did mothers run library's??? They don't. Complain!





Actually my library has signs up about children. If your child is making a racket you are asked to leave.





I recently took my 6 month old %26amp; 3yo boys to the library. My 6 month old started shrieking. I was so embarrassed. I sat down and feed him. He was settled within 2 minutes.


It is called MANNERS, if your child cried, pick it up and settle it. If it continues take it out of the library. No mother has the right to have her child scream in a library. They are quiet for a reason. Just because you have a child, DOESN'T make you above the rules.


I can't believe some of these answers. Some people need a reality check. Just because your world revolves around your child, doesn't mean everyone else needs to hear it scream.


I would have said something %26amp; I am a mother of 3! You don't need child care to visit a library, just common sense parenting.|||It's better than not going because they didn't have a babysitter. It is pretty rude, though...but you can't control a baby crying. But I guess that's what happens when you have a baby when you're fifteen...|||I wonder the same thing. The librarians would not hesitate to shush someone who is talking or whose cell phone rings, but let a baby scream and everyone is afraid to say something... why? Because babies are off-limits when it comes to criticism. Yes, you DO have a choice, don't go to the library when the kid is awake if it's going to disturb others. What do you do with the kid when you're in class? Take it with you? I bet not. Leave it with the same person you leave it with when you're in class. Wait until nap time. Check the books out that you need and leave, go to the park, take them home. Just because it's your little precious baboo doesn't mean everyone else wants to hear it.|||Lots of people don't leave their babies. I agree with you, however, that the library shouldn't be the place they visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment