Thursday, January 19, 2012

How much weight does a floorboard hold if I plan to create a library of my books upstairs?

I own a whole library of books which I would be placing in an upstairs room. I am worried that maybe the floorBoards won't hold. The room measures 400cm x 300cm and I plan to have around 20 bookcases (2m x 1m long). The house is pretty modern.How much weight does a floorboard hold if I plan to create a library of my books upstairs?
With the UK shoe box size rooms you have nothing to worry about. The wood will easily take

the weight.

Remember a lot of the weight is around the edges next to the walls. The loads can be truely massive without any problem here.

The weight is also distributed by the floor boards across the joists.
If you think you can get 20 bookcases into your small room and still get access to them I will be surprised. If the bookcases are placed with their bases full onto the floor there wouldn't be a problem. However, if they are raised on legs or not in full contact with the floor you will have a point loading problem.How much weight does a floorboard hold if I plan to create a library of my books upstairs?
Its not so much the floor boards themselves as the joists and is it a conventional build or timber frame. You would need to keep the shelves against the wall and on opposing walls crossing the joists. If you put them parallel with the joists all the load will be on maybe 2 joists.
It might groan a tad, but that's no load at all. Modern construction is designed to support well over 10,000 pounds per room. Don't turn the joint into a forklift or trackloader dealer showroom, but you are fine.How much weight does a floorboard hold if I plan to create a library of my books upstairs?
If floorboards support a bathtub full of water. I am pretty sure a library is ok.
  • cb radio
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment