Monday, January 23, 2012

Can the public library make me pay for 2 books that grew mold after I returned them?

I checked out 2 books from my public library. I kept them on my bookcase where I keep my other books. I dropped them off in the return box that is kept outside and during labor day weekend (while it was raining) I returned them. The books were in perfect condition when I dropped them off and now the library wants me to pay for them growing mold. All my other books that I keep on the bookcase has no mold what so ever.Can the public library make me pay for 2 books that grew mold after I returned them?
They shouldn't make you pay, because the damage occurred after you dropped the books off. It is their fault for having a faulty returns system. Surely, they must have thought about the possibility of rain and so made the returns box water tight. If they haven't, then they should rethink their system.
Haha!! how on the arth did it grow MOLD?? Mabey it's your book case... you should clean it......NOW BEFORE THE MOLD INFECTS YOUR WHOLE HOUSE!!!!Can the public library make me pay for 2 books that grew mold after I returned them?
no
Yes,



You borrowed the books and did not return them in the same shape. The fact that the mold grew later is not material; the other books in the return bin were not moldy so the books were exposed to mold in your bookcase. That makes it your responsibility.Can the public library make me pay for 2 books that grew mold after I returned them?
NO! Dont you dare pay for these books! Go to your local council if they persist with the payment.
yes
I would explain that situation to the head librarian. They should understand that sometimes accidents happen, although it seems the fault was theirs. If they insist on having you pay for them, you have some options.



1. Stiff them

2. Hire an attorney

3. Replace the books.



I would most definitely do some research on the matter. Ask for a written 'contract' explaining your rights and theirs. Get factual evidence the fault lies with them. ie weather reports to state it was in fact raining, pictures showing the ill placed book return.



Hope this helps. If the books aren't to expensive to replace, I would just go ahead and replace them. Try to find the copies on Amazon. In no way shape or form would I replace those books with new copies though.
Yes, they can make you pay for them . It may have been you, after all, who left the return box partially open. The library is probably charging more people that you whose returned books got moldy, and though books can be costly they won't be as expensive a a stock-up at the grocery store. It won't hurt too dreadfully and you'll be in good standing with the library again.
Yes the public library can. Sorry.
If you decide to pay just ask them if you can buy 2 new books of the same title, because the library will probably make you pay list price where you can get a big discount on amazon, or maybe even get the books for like 1 dollar in the used books of amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment